Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Coolest Mom Ever Award goes to...

Me! 
2 nights ago I was laying in bed thinking about Scouts.  Then my thoughts wandered to Halloween.  Then they wandered back to Blue and Gold.  Then it wandered to dinner for Halloween night.  Then it all meshed into one and I had a brilliant idea.  I decided to make a Mystery Halloween dinner. ( I had the idea for blue and gold and then realized that we are dealing with like a million people and it would have been way too hard to do). 
So, I grabbed my handy iPhone (and tried to keep the light off Jeramy) and came up with some ideas...
In the morning, I typed it up and here's what I came up with.  (Turn your head and read.  For some reason it didn't save my changes), 


I made the kids play outside while I made dinner.  All the neighbor kids said, "You guys are so lucky, my mom never does cool stuff like that."  (Yup. Pat myself on the back, sorry "other" moms). I set up the card table in the front room, made a Pandora station with Halloween kid songs, and put their menus on the table.  When Jeramy got home from work, I made him go through the front door and wait for the girls to come home, so he was surprised, too. 
The kids had to choose what they wanted to eat based on my silly titles.  They talked it through, tried to get me to tell them what it really was, but over all, everyone made the "right" choices for them.  (Lindsay chose Green Monsters, which was a Salad). 
I bet you are dying to know what everything was, right?
Drave digger = fork
slime scooper = spoon

flying saucer = plate
brain holder = bowl

ghosts brew=water
angel brew = milk
devil brew = red punch

floating scum = grapes in water (they don't float...who knew?)
green monsters = salad
zombie bed = french bread with garlic

worms = spaghetti noodles
worms, vampire style = with sauce
worms, zombie style = with sauce and bread. 

crunchy snails = apples with sugar and cinnamon
slimy snails = cooked apples with sugar and cinnamon
The kids thought it was so cool.  (I think even Jer was slightly impressed).  It really wasn't that hard to do. 
After our amazing dinner, Jeramy took the girls trick or treating.  I sat on the porch and passed out candy and watched Netflix on my phone.  It was a good night. 
When they got home and got their candy all sorted and got ready for bed, Lindsay said, "Mom, can you do that kind of dinner for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentines day?" 
Coolest mom ever!

3 comments:

Janet said...

That is the coolest idea. I'm going to steal it.

Kristen said...

So you're saying that if you had to dig a grave, you would use a fork?

;o)

I thought candy WAS dinner.

Pretty sure I haven't won any awards lately. You deserve it!

Fork...

Heather said...

My mom use to do that stuff for us growing up, I loved loved loved it! I totally forgot about it. You really are the wonderful mom.