My friend wrote a post about how facebook has taken over most good bloggers. It's true. I now find myself on facebook, updating my status with what has just happened in 3 lines or less, instead of coming here and really writing out what happened. So today, I will not update my status about my craptastic day, I will write a long, drawn out post, which will be therapeutic for me, and maybe a little bit more humorous for you.
Pregnant Heidi at 23 weeks = emotional, forgetful, craving junk food.
The plan for the day = Get kids off to school. Drop Macie off at grandma's and go to my doctor's appointment. Have neighbor pick Lindsay up off the bus in case I'm not done in time. The plan is in place. I leave. Neighbor calls and says her kids are puking, but Lindsay can come still if I need her to.
No thank you.
I start calling/texting fellow moms from the bus stop in search of someone that Lindsay knows well enough that she won't freak out if they take her home. It's a no go. I can't find anyone! I feel my blood pressure rising.
Great. Just add high blood pressure to my fear of a huge weight gain for the day.
I get to Grandma's and explain the situation. She says if I'm not done, just call and she'll go down and get Lindsay.
Relief. (And a little guilt. My parents live a half hour away).
I go to the hospital.
I wait and wait and wait.
I check facebook, play Dice with Buddies with my Dad, father in law, brother in law and husband. Finally I am called in to the exam room. As I stand up, I drop my phone.
Whoops.
No big deal, right? It has a case and it was on the carpet.
I get my blood pressure checked.
It's fine.
I get on the scale.
I have been dreading going to stand on the scale and see what all of that pre and post Halloween candy has done to me.
Only 2 pounds gain.
I'll take it.
Feeling much better.
I have 23 minutes until I need to be on the road to pick up Lindsay.
22.
21.
I start to panic, pick up my phone, turn it on.
Turn it on.
Try again.
Nothing.
My phone will not turn on.
20.
19.
Crap.
What on earth do I do?
I finally go out to the nurses station and tell them my problem. The only number I know (without my fancy phone) is my parents, so I have to call and ask them to go get Lindsay.
The new nurse (who has maybe said 2 words to me total in the past year that I've been dealing with her) perks right up and tries to fix my phone. I am grateful, but it doesn't work.
Feeling that blood pressure rise again.
Doctor finally comes in. We spend our usual 30 seconds in small talk, then 30 seconds being measured (measuring a week ahead) and hear baby #4's heartbeat/kicks. (Probably all that second hand Halloween candy making her move so much).
When I get in the car, I see that I could have made it to get Lindsay, but without a phone, and a clock, I had no way to know.
I go to my parents and wait for them to arrive. Then I realize the lack of car seats they are dealing with.
Then I feel bad again.
In the mean time, I use my mom's phone to call Jeramy and tell him he needs to meet me at the AT&T store STAT. He says he's at an employee luncheon for now. Crud.
Then, I have this brilliant idea to try plugging my phone in to my dad's charger.
(I feel that I need to add right now that my battery was FULLY charged).
My phone turns right on.
Yipee. But I'm a little ticked, to be quite honest.
That's all it took? Seriously?
My parents pull up.
Lindsay whispers to me, "Mom, I didn't even have a booster!"
She was pretty excited about the lack of safety.
My mom then said she'd take us to lunch.
We went to Arctic Circle. I've been craving a pumpkin pie shake for weeks.
Finally got it.
Macie stole it from me.
I stole it back.
Lindsay stole it from me.
I stole it back.
It helped.
We hung out with grandma and grandpa for a while.
Calmed down.
Then left to get Maddie.
And guess what I left at my mom's?
My phone.
Luckily, I wasn't too far before I realized it.
So we went back.
It wasn't there.
It was in my purse.
My mom laughed and laughed.
I wanted to crawl in a hole and be done for the day.
On my way home, I may have shed a tear or two of gratitude.
I'm grateful for my parents, who dropped everything to help me out.
I'm grateful my phone really wasn't dead. (And that I didn't go to the phone store only to have them plug it in).
I'm grateful that I'm feeling good and baby #4 is doing well.
And, I'm thankful for pumpkin shakes.
I guess that last paragraph could be my status update for today. :)
4 comments:
Okay I admit it. I'm laughing at your misfortune. But only because you write it so cleverly! I'm sorry it was a rotten day. I'm glad you blogged it instead of status-ing it. And ice cream IS the solution to everything. That's a fact.
I've had a couple days like that which I'm sure I'll laugh about someday. Maybe. Someday.
"She was pretty excited about the lack of safety." Wa-ha!! This was so much more satisfying blogged, don't you agree? I was right on the ride with you, I have had days SO much like that. And incidentally, I love the word "craptastic".
That was really great! and craptastic!
time for a "Fantastic Day" blog.
Post a Comment