When we went to Primary Children's for Maddie's arm a few weeks back, they had little pots of seeds all over the window's edge. I was intrigued and asked what they were doing. The sweet receptionist was giddy when I asked. She told me that they were sprouting wheat grass. She told me to try it at home, but to use hard red winter wheat. Who is she to tell me what kind of wheat to use?
Maddie and I went home and tried it out with some regular old wheat...and soil from out in my flower beds. Day 2 I started to notice little potato bug carcases floating to the top of my cups. Day 3 the smell was disgusting. Day 4, mold. Day 8 I thew them away and sent out the facebook message begging for red winter wheat. The Smith's came to my rescue, and also shared a story of dropping some down the drain on accident and having beautiful green grass sprouting up a few weeks later. She gave me hope.
We started 3 pans of them. We dropped our wheat in the first 2, then I remembered the sweet lady also told me to soak them for a few hours first, so I soaked my last kernels (is that the right word?) before I put them in the nice fresh soil that I bought at Wal-Mart.
Pans 1 and 2 didn't do too well, pan #3 has been so much fun to watch! I love how bright green it is with all this snow around!

If you want to try to grow some grass, learn from my mistakes.
1. Use hard red winter wheat. 2. Buy fresh, bug-free soil 3). soak your wheat for a few hours first. 4). lay out in a single layer on the dirt. 5) keep wet until you get sprouts, then just water as needed to keep soil moist.
6 comments:
we tried some too after you gave us the idea. Yours is much taller, but Saige loves to check it all day long! thanks so much for the homework packet and folder saige has been in heaven! You are the best!
Cool! I'm definitely going to try that. I can't wait to see what my Dad says. Something sarcastic I'm sure. I have just enough time to get it big before he comes for Nicole's birthday. =o)
Well done!
Wait, that sounded rude about my dad. What I meant is that we have green wheat fields all around our house that look just like that right now. He thinks my experiments and square foot gardening are "cute."
I have heard about people who grow their own grass out West.
"and decided to blog my grass"
That phrase made me chuckle. I wondered how many people clicked off your blog just then.
"Uh, she's blogging about grass."
Some people grind that grass up and drink it. What are you going to do with it?
You are becoming Martha Stewart...
:)
Post a Comment