Friday, April 2, 2010

In a pickle...

My new vacuum sucks. No really, the suction is amazing. Maybe it's that I've been using an inferior vacuum for many years. Whatever the reason - it's a little intimidating to me. I get a little nervous using the hose attachment. I used to suck up the girls shirts and hands and stuff just to tease them. Now I'm afraid I might detach a limb if I tried it.

Last night I was using said hose attachment on the stairs. I saw a pickle. (Plastic, not real. That would be gross). I said to myself, "Those dang kids. I'm going to leave it here and make one of them move it...." whump. "What the heck...where did the pickle go? No way..." I look at my vacuum and there is a big red flashing button "suction blocked." Now I'm in awe at the power of my vacuum. That awe soon turns to annoyance when I try to get the pickle out. It's stuck in here:

The blue part between the hose and the opening. I finally got a hanger and pushed the pickle back into the hose. Keep in mind, while I'm doing this, many tears are being shed, "It's my favorite toy" "Mom, you have to save it" "Mom, don't break that hanger." And on and on. What about my brand new vacuum? How come no one cares about that??
I finally get it to slide back down the hose and we end up here. Stuck again. I poke it, it slides back down. I bang it on the floor, you name it, I tried it. 10 minutes I fought with the stupid pickle. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I got the scissors. The girls are all in a panic now about their precious pickle.

Success! I finally got it out. There was much rejoicing for about 10 seconds. The pickle was saved. My vacuum was saved. All was well. I continued vacuuming the house, the girls went back to playing. I'm pretty sure I was smiling to myself about my amazing pickle-saving abilities. I take the vacuum onto the other set of stairs and start to vacuum and what to I behold?

The same stupid pickle is now on a different set of stairs. Just chilling. Momma Heidi kind of lost it. I said the pickle was going in the garbage. Maddie came to the poor pickle's rescue and hid it (hence the lack of a picture of a pickle chilling on the stairs).

Moral to the story...just don't vacuum your house.
Sheesh, do you think I set some kind of record for using the words pickle and vacuum in a blog post?

9 comments:

J. Doug said...

you have won the prize. pickle and vacuums is the most unusual post.

Adhis said...

"It's my favorite toy"

I would have taken the chance right then to have them exchange some other toy of theirs for their "favorite." Sort of a hostage toy situation in the name of decluttering.

I'm such a mean mom.

I'm happy your vacuum is OK and you didn't have to perform CPR on it 'cause I'm pretty much sure that would have sucked.

Lyns said...

It cracks me up that the pickle was suddenly their favorite toy. That's exactly what Ava would do. Hilarious.

OUR Coop said...

Everyone is commenting on the pickle I really just want to know what vaccum you have. No, seriously which one is it?

Kristen said...

Reminds me of when Jonathan was sobbing that his new mini pen got ruined in the washing machine. Never mind all the laundry that was ruined. I had my own little fit and informed him that he'd better start praying that the laundry would come clean or else he'd buy us all new clothes with his own money. (Although as soon as I said it, I realized it was also my fault for not checking his pockets.) Luckily all the ink came out. See, prayer works. =o)

Heidi said...

Celeste, I just tried to find it on Wal-mart.com, but it's gone. That could be a bad sign, eh? Maybe they pulled it for sucking up really large pickles. :)

Russ Steele said...

Hey Sis, Most manufactures put their name and the model number on the product they sell. Are you having a blonde moment?

Jess and Jen said...

Gotta love it! Way funny that you found the pickle AGAIN. Such is life. I'm stealing that picture of Kameron by the way! Jess definitely slacked on his picture duty during the blessing!

Jon and Aim said...

I know what you mean. I gave up vacuuming after picking up pickles, potatoes, and lemons!!