Thursday, July 23, 2009

Reduce Re-use recycle

I was asked to help teach about fun kid crafts for our Enrichment this month. I was so excited and knew immediately what I wanted to have the ladies make to take home. The brilliant plan started swimming in my head. Swimming deeper and deeper to the point that I couldn't get it out. Even when I found out that we were planning on 80 ladies. That's right, 80. (The previous Enrichment had 70).
Heidi's head says, "Huh. 80. I can do this. I can do this. Think it through. Yup. I can do this."
What was this brilliant idea you might be asking yourself now?
I Spy water bottles. $20 budget. 2 weeks to prepare.
We start saving water bottles.
We tell friends to save water bottles.
I get a little excited when I walk past a garbage can and there is a water bottle laying on the top...
I get A LOT excited when we go to the Temple open house and there is a recycle can FULL of water bottles. Good thing I have 2 brave sisters that 1) asked if we could take the empty bottles 2) dug in and took bottles for me while I looked on in horror and embarrassment.
Day before Enrichment...must drink more water...must get 80 bottles...

I end up with 70 bottles. 50 pounds of rice. 80 sets of 16 trinkets to put in the bottles. I am ready!
24 people come.
Empty water bottles anyone?? I have a few in a big bag still. Can't bring myself to throw them away quite yet.

It was a super fun enrichment where we learned about fun games to play outside, great snacks to feed our kids and how to host the perfect BBQ.

Jill made us all these adorable aprons to wear as we taught our stations and helped with treats. Speaking of treats...plan for 80...feed 30 = lots of leftovers.
So, if anyone wants to come make an I spy bottle, come on over! Also, I discovered the foamerator in the Family Fun Magazine.
1) get an empty water bottle
2) cut the bottom off
3) use an elastic to put a piece of dishtowel on the bottom.
4) get dishtowel wet.
5) pour dish soap on a plate
6) dip the dishtowel in the soap
7) BLOW through the top of the bottle
So cool!
Everyone should try that one out. Come get a bottle (or 2).

6 comments:

Marie said...

We were really bummed it was the same week as girls camp. Sorry you didn't have better attendance - it looked like such a fun enrichment night. I still have those I spy bottles from preschool!! But I'm going to give the foamerator a try!

Tarina said...

Fun ideas, I'll have to give them a try. Sorry you didn't have a better turn out.

Jess and Jen said...

I hate when that happens! You should set up shop outside sacrament and hand them all out! You and me must have the same retarded green thumb. NOTHING I plant survives. NOTHING. At least you have green!

Amannda Ashby said...

Hey if you still have any of those bottles I would love a some to make those bubble making thigs! So much fun!!!

Kristen said...

You could make the I-spy's and give them as Christmas gifts to those who didn't come...

At least you were prepared. =o)

Jennica said...

Who is the hottie on the end?