Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mission Impossible

Do you ever feel like you are speaking in another language when you tell someone in your house where something is? Yesterday I was making lunch in the kitchen. Maddie, your mission if you choose to accept it is: find the DS.
"Mom, where's the DS?"
"It's by the fish"
She goes over, looks...looks...looks, "Mom, I don't see it."
"It's on top of the charging station."
She looks...looks...looks, "Mom (with much anger now) it's not here!!"
Sigh, I walk the 4 steps across the kitchen, take it off the charging station BY the fish and hand it to her. Could I have been more clear? (Also notice the half painted wall. I kind of forgot about that spot until I put this picture up. How embarrassing.)
Is there anything worse than sitting down on the throne and 2 seconds too late, you realize someone used all the toilet paper and didn't replace the roll? Good thing I never get to go to the bathroom by myself. Lindsay, your mission if you choose to accept it is: get a roll of toilet paper.
"Lindsay, will you go in the other bathroom and get a roll of toilet paper?"
"Sure Mom!" She runs to the other bathroom and comes back with ONE square of toilet paper.
"Thanks, hon, but can you get a whole roll? They are in the white cabinet."
"Sure Mom!" She runs in the other bathroom and I hear her open the cabinet under the sink- not the white one.
"Mom, there isn't any!"
"Lindsay, it's in the white cabinet that you look at when you are sitting on the potty."
"Okay Mom." She runs to the other bathroom and comes back with 3 squares of toilet paper. Grrr.... I ask Macie and she quickly returns with a roll.
And here's my favorite. I understand my children might have a hard time on these challenging missions sometimes, but my 30 year old husband should be able to handle them, right? Jeramy, your mission if you choose to accept it: get toilet paper out of the basement.
"Jeramy, can you run downstairs and get a pack of toilet paper?"
"Yeah." Jer goes downstairs and is gone forever.
"Heidi, there isn't any."
"Jer, I just went to Costco, there is a HUGE pack. It's not ON the shelf, it's NEXT to the shelf." He goes back down. I think he stops to check his email and watch a movie or something. He comes back up finally.
"There is NO toilet paper down there!"
"If I go down there and find it, I am going to be so mad." Jeramy and I walk down together, I open the door, turn to the left, wah lah! 30 rolls of toilet paper staring right back at us.
"Huh. How'd I miss that one??"
But how is it that my 19 month old baby is fully capable of finding things? Today I couldn't find her toothbrush. She quickly went to my bathroom - not theirs - climbed up on the toilet and got her toothbrush out of my holder-where I had put it the night before.
Or whenever I start to sweep the kitchen, she automatically will get the dustpan. She checks under the sink, if it's not there, she checks the pantry.
Or last week after Maddie's party I asked Maddie to throw all the balloons down to the basement before preschool started. She whined and whined and didn't do it. So her baby sister carried 10 balloons one by one to the stairs and threw them down. So someone in this house understands me and can read my thoughts. What does it mean that she's only 19 months old? Am I functioning on her level or is she on mine???
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Robin said...

I think that you might be on her level. No, she too little to have all the other thought running around in her head yet. So she just gets it. I total understand the mission thing. I always threat that they will owe my money if I find the missing object. (I should be rich by now) Love YA!!!

Jennica said...

Heidi...Heidi...Heidi, can you teach me to write as funny as you! It is your mission, if you choose to accept. =) When I ask Tate to bring me toilet paper he is gone a long time and then comes back with half the roll in a huge bundle.

Aubrey said...

Sounds like you have a smarty pants on your hands. Ryan & Hailey are THE SAME way! It drives me BATTY!!

Jess and Jen said...

There's a reason she was born number three I guess! She keeps you in balance! Too funny!

Sheree said...

My kids can generally find things, it is Jared that is always staring right at whatever he is looking for and not seeing it. It drives me crazy!

jill said...

Jeremy...Jeremy...he must have stopped and checked his email, because that is quite obvious to see that big thing of toilet paper!!

Kat said...

That is hilarious and so true! Caden will spend 15 minutes looking for something that is right in front of his face and then say he can't find it. :)

Carrie said...

I think it's partially a third child thing too. Lincoln is so much more helpful than the others. They are good, but Lincoln runs when I ask him to do something.

Kristen said...

Nicole and I are on the same wavelength and I thought maybe it's because she's a GIRL. Maddie and Lindsay must have gotten more of Jeramy's genes. =o)