Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gas etiquette

So, I've been pumping my own gas for what - like 15 years now.
I know to turn off my car
I know not to smoke
I know not to talk on my cell phone
But I did not know that if the nozzle is not in evenly, the gas will not stop coming out!

Here's the adventure for the night.

On the way home from swimming lessons, I decided to be the nice wife and put gas in the Civic for Jer. We went to Costco, and I got the "wrong side" one, but they have the stretchy thing so you can easily pull it around the car. I did so, but apparently I didn't pull it far enough, so the nozzle was sideways. I got in the back seat and was talking to Maddie, then I hear this odd splashing sound. I jump out and go to pull the nozzle out and the Costco worker all but pushes me out of the way. "Don't touch anything!" he yells at me. So I stand there feeling shocked and stupid as he proceeds to teach me how not to pump gas and tells me "if you would have touched that, you could have been blown to bits because you weren't touching metal." A little dramatic, I thought, but hey, he could have really saved my life.
Then he made me stand there looking dumb while he got out the cleaning stuff, hosed down the cement, then scrubbed it, then patted it dry. Then he said, "All right, I think it's safe now." I quickly got in my car and sped away.

So, if your gas tank is ever spewing over, touch the car before you touch the handle. I hope you can all learn from my stupid-ness.
And I know there is another little rule that I SHOULD have followed, but I chose not to. Stay at the pump. So many rules...

But thanks Super Hero Costco man. You might just have saved my life tonight.

6 comments:

M-n-M said...

Wow that is interesting - I think I will stick to letting Marshal fill our vehicle - he is so nice that way.

Glad you guys are okay - that is a little scary.

Keep up with the great blogging, I love to read about whats going on.

Adhis said...

I was going to post a witty little remark, but it involved using HTML tags not allowed on blogger. Poo, bloggger.

Jess and Jen said...

Poor Heidi. I would have done the same thing you did. Malad looked like tons o fun. We'll have to coordinate a trip soon. Are you headed down for the rodeo? We can watch your kids for your anniversary!!

Kristen said...

I recently saw a sign at the gas station that says not to get in your car while you fill up because it creates static buildup and it create sparks...? So I guess we get to stand there, inhaling gas fumes and getting dizzy watching the numbers roll by.

Glad you're okay.

Janet said...

Wow! Hooray crazy costco guy. I'm glad your ok

MattnBeck said...

glad you found our blog!

Hope you are okay after the etiquitte lesson. It could have been worse, though -- I thought you were talking about a different kind of gas :)