On Monday (Jeramy's birthday, happy birthday) we went and cleaned out the van.
Not fun.
So hard to see and do.
We were once again amazed to see the damage, and the coins all over the car, and let's be honest, how much crap my kids kept in that van. Sunday before church Macie couldn't find her church shoes. She has two pairs. They were both in the van. Maddie's library book. In the van. Lindsay's new earrings. In the van. (Still in the van, I was not told to get them out of the pocket and I didn't see them in there).
This picture of my trunk doesn't really show it, but we hadn't realized that the entire trunk was pushed up. We had landed on a huge boulder at some point that pushed it up - and probably launched that dang can of chili up and over. (Did I mention we ate said chili for lunch that day while we were waiting for the tow truck?)
Our insurance would only give us $20 a day for a rental car. Note to self, raise that up to at least $50 a day. To rent a minivan it was almost $50 a day, to rent a Camry it was $28. I decided to just get the smaller car for $8 a day. So, we had to take both cars every where we went this week, but it worked out fine. Once again, we had family to help us out, too.
We hit a few lots, really not knowing what kind of van we wanted. I had my heard set on an Odyssey again, but was willing to test drive a few other options. We made an appointment to meet with the car rental's sales office. We chatted with the sales lady for well over an hour about...her. It was painful and boring and she wouldn't stop talking. She then let us know that while she was talking to us, they sold the only Dodge they had available, so we couldn't even test drive it. Grrrr. Angry Heidi. While we were waiting for her to find us any van to test drive, this one pulled up.
Ouch.
I wanted to ask the guy if he'd sell it to me.
Oh, and the lady never found a van for us to drive. An hour and a half of my life gone. Just like that.
We had another lot that was supposed to call us when the Odyssey I wanted was done getting detailed. They never called.
Twice.
We finally said, "We just need to drive a van. Any van." So we saw one and went in and test drove a Dodge Caravan. It made me want to cry I hated it so bad. Jeramy was all right with it. I'll spare you the long, painful story there of being taken hostage by the salesman and being driven to another lot, and waiting and waiting and having a salesman on his third day who was the complete opposite of our saleslady the day before that wouldn't stop talking. This poor kid will not be selling cars for very long. After we left that lot I felt like I needed a shower and I was just done.
Done.
Keep in mind that every time we went out car shopping, we had to dump our kids upon random friends and family and I was beginning to feel pretty bad.
We decided that we would wait until next week and try the Odyssey place again because that's what I really wanted, even though it was at the top of our budget.
This morning I had a friend suggest a lot. I looked it up just for fun and the first van listed was my van. Well, not my van, but the same year and miles as my wrecked one. And the price was exactly what we got from our settlement with the insurance.
Not what we were looking for at all.
But, Jeramy said, "Let's go look at it."
And so we piled all the kids into both cars and headed up. Lo and behold, it was in better shape than my old van (all right, better shape than my van was before we rolled it down a hill). We actually got to test drive it within like 2 minutes of being on the lot. (In fact, it took us longer to get all those car seats buckled in than it took for them to give us the keys). No pushy/talky/too quiet salesperson. The kids oohhhed and ahhhed that it was just like being in our van, but better. I felt happy and at peace in my van.
You know that moment when a bride cries because she's found her dress? Yeah, Jeramy cried. (not really).
We found our car. The interior is exactly the same as ours was, the only difference is that this one is white. Oh so white. Not my favorite, but it will do for a while. When we're in it you can seriously not tell that it's a different van, but then I get out and go "Whoa, that's not my van!"
Here's hoping that it lasts a few years.
Just happy not to have a car payment.
Once again,
So blessed
So grateful!
Tuesday, July 9, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a scary experience! I'm so happy that everyone is ok and that you finally found a van!
Heidi I've been thinking about you all week. I'm so glad you found something, and soooo glad you're all okay.
Post a Comment