Monday, July 8, 2013

Steele Reunion...the not so good part

We got Lexi buckled in and started to back down the road around every one's cars.  We were just chatting about what we were having for lunch.  We got around all the cars and started to straighten out the van.  All of the sudden, the van started to slip sideways.  We didn't realized there was a retaining wall on Jeramy's side of the car and we somehow got too close to the edge.  The next few seconds were all in slow motion, but yet we really don't remember what happened.  Jeramy was lucky enough to see us fall off out his window and not be able to do a dang thing about it.  We then rolled, we think twice.  Not really sure.  We've both played it over and over in our heads and can't figure it out.
(No seat belts).
I remember being on the top of the van when it caved in, and I remember thinking we were going to get crushed.  I watched Jeramy's head hit his window and I thought for sure he'd be bleeding and unconscious. We stopped upright and I immediately asked Jeramy if he was all right.  He said he was fine and he started laying on the horn.  (We were yards away from our camp site).  I turned to check on Lexi to find that she was totally covered up by our massive camping mat.  We only have one camping mat and the night before I had decided that it wasn't worth fighting over who got to sleep on it, so I had left it in the van between the two seats.  I pulled it off of her and she was happily sucking on her pacifier like nothing had happened.  Just like a ride at Disneyland, I'm sure was what she was thinking. Then I noticed the massive #10 can of chili that had been in the trunk of the van was lodged right next to her head with a huge dent in it.  I'm assuming it hit that mat that had covered her and bounced off it and up between her carseat and the car door.
Saved her life.
Blessing.  
After what seems like forever, but I'm sure it was only maybe a minute, I decided no one was coming, so I had to get tough with my door to get it open.  Finally got it open and then had to climb up the retaining wall that we had just rolled off of with my shaking, shocked body.  Not easy.  I ran back to camp and just said, "Help!  We just rolled the van."  Apparently I was white as a ghost.  Most took off down the road to help.  Once I calmed down, I walked back down.  They had got Jeramy out (my side, his side wouldn't open).  And Lexi out.  They were fine. 
Maddie, Lindsay and Macie came down and cried.  They were pretty freaked out by it all. We all were. 
 Pictures don't really do it justice.  It was quite a fall.  We called our car insurance first and Jeramy sat on hold with them for well over an hour in 100 degree weather.  They finally told us that they couldn't send a tow truck until we had an accident report number.  Note to self...call police first next time even though it didn't involve another car (oh man, I hope there is never a next time).  So we then called the police.  They sent 4 cars. Must have been a pretty slow day for Lone Peak Police.  They were all amazed that we were all up and moving.  We were feeling stiff, but fine.  One officer stayed and he was not happy about having to be there.  That made the whole process so much more fun!  We tried to call our insurance back to get the tow truck, but they were completely useless and the officer finally said, "This is ridiculous, I'm calling our tow company."  He also said, "Are all kids accounted for?"  We said yes.  He said, "What about neighbor kids?  What if they had been down there playing?"  And then we were sick.  Once the van was pulled out, he really went down to make sure we hadn't smashed someone.  :(  He also had to ask if Jeramy had been drinking or doing drugs.  I know it's his job, but seriously.  He said, "You look like you may have been drinking."  Jeramy said, "Well, it's well over a 100, I've been out here for over 2 hours and, I just rolled my van down a hill.  I probably don't look too great."
 Three hours after we rolled down the hill, our van finally came back up the hill.  I had held it together up until this point.  Watching my lifeless van be hauled out made me cry.  As much as I really had wanted a new van, it was a good van and I was happy driving it. 
My nephew took this picture.  He was on the other side of the tow truck.  Kind of funny to see all those blue shirts huddled under that tiny tree trying to stay cool.  The tow guy was great and it was really impressive to see how he got it out.  My nephew got some video, but I don't care to put it on here.  If you really want to see it, text me.
Totally awful day, BUT
Jeramy and I sat and talked about how blessed we were...
We were with my family, they jumped into action to help.  They took care of the girls, took them home for us and bathed them, took down our tent and packed our stuff into their cars.  Gave us the support we needed, and even the cell phone charger.
We weren't hurt.  Just a little sore.  Could have been a lot worse, especially for sweet Lexi.  (And I do have to say that yes, she is forward facing and not two, BUT, that can of chili could have done a lot more damage had she been rear facing).
The reason Jeramy's door wouldn't open was because of a tiny tree.  That tiny tree probably kept us from rolling again into the river and landing on our side.  That would have been a whole lot scarier. 
All of the doors on the van were smashed in and not working - except Lexi's door.  It's automatic feature worked just fine. 
And this one...Maddie apparently heard us honking and said, "That's my parents."  Everyone told her it wasn't, but she ran down the road to check on us.  She couldn't see us (we were down the hill in the bushes), so she went back.  I can not think of a situation more scary for my 10 year old daughter to have to witness on her own.  Her parents trapped in their car.  She had nightmares as it was for a few nights, I can only image how much worse it would have been.
So blessed.
So grateful. 

No comments: