I was in labor for just about 12 hours with Lindsay.
I spent just about 12 hours making her Halloween costume this year.
Which one was harder?
The costume.
Here's the story...
In early September I asked all the girls what they wanted to be for Halloween. Lindsay knew she wanted to be Rapunzel. I started looking at costumes online and in the store and decided that I could make one...for less.
Yeah right.
I found the pattern.
16.95. Ouch.
I had a 40% off coupon, but knew it was still way too much to pay, but I decided to do it anyway. When I got up to the register it rang up at .99. I must have screamed/squealed in delight because everyone around me was watching me. Patterns were on sale!!!
Score!
I had to decide on fabric. The pattern colors were so not the real Rapunzel's colors.
It took me 3 trips to the store to make my color choices.
I decided that I would just send my fabric and pattern up to my sister in Washington with her Cricut that a friend of hers was picking up to take up to her.
That fell through.
I had this sinking feeling of dread when I realized it was up to me to make the dress.
I dove in. It took me 5 hours to get the bodice pieced together and the skirt sewn.
As I was sewing along, I thought to myself, "This isn't "Sew" bad." Just then, I broke a needle!
Never had that happen before.
Had to call for help.
(I should probably add at this time that it was a Friday afternoon and I ended up with 6 extra kids in my house. Needless to say, my house was a wreck, but the kids were all happy and were leaving me alone).
I started working again after dinner. I got almost done with the pink layer.
Seriously, 12 inches from the end.
I ran out of pink thread.
Had Jeramy (the perfectionist) not been sitting next to me on the couch, I would have finished it in white.
But I wasted some more time and scrounged up some pink thread.
I then decided I needed more help.
I took it all up to my mom's during general conference.
We didn't sew at all.
Dress came home and I was yet again, on my own.
4 more hours and the dress somehow was done!
Lindsay put it on.
Looks down.
"Mom, there isn't a bow...
and it's not modest".
Sigh.
That step in the patten called a "stay stitch"...probably shouldn't have skipped it. The neck had totally stretched out.
And it didn't have a bow.
Back to the store I went for more lace to cover the huge neckline.
And to add a bow.
The dress is finally done.
The hair, that's another few hours of my life.
I hate it and will be re-doing it when I stop dreaming about Rapunzel dresses and sewing.
Total hours of my life wasted: Over 12
Total dollars spent: $23
Total trips to Hobby Lobby: 5
Being totally ready for Halloween 25 days before the big day...priceless.
Did I mention that the MINUTE I got Lindsay's done, Macie says, "K, now start on mine."
Hers (hopefully) shouldn't take that long. I think I only have about an hour and $6 invested in hers so far.
Can you guess who she is going to be?
All of this is why I borrowed Maddie's costume from a friend.

3 comments:
Oh THAT is CUTE! You are officially amazing. Even if you didn't plan to do it all yourself. It's perfect.
Yes, now I feel behind.
(But happy for you.)
Nicole wanted to be Rapunzel. We saw the perfect dress, on sale at Costco. (Since when do things go on sale at Costco?) We waited for Dad's approval because he was going to Costco the next day. We don't usually spend that much on a costume. But of course all the Rapunzel dresses were gone when he got there. Grrr.
She wants to be something else now and it's really lame but totally easy. That's more like it. =o)
You're amazing for even attempting such a project. It turned out darling :)
I'm sure I've said this before: You're a much nicer mom than me!
When my kids get old enough to ask for a specific costume, I'll pull the cigar out from my mouth and say in my hoarse smoker's voice, "Kid, you're going out as groceries. Here's a banana. The plastic bag goes on your head."
Post a Comment