Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A 5k is how far???

I run the Salt Lake 5k every year.  Maddie always says she wants to run, but I haven't let her yet.  Our stake does a 5k every year, too, so she decided she wanted to run it this year.  I decided it was time for her to try it out.  She and I trained at night by me roller blading and her running.  The farthest I ever took her was a mile and a half.  As the day of the race approached, I realized I was going to have a crazy day, and that running in the morning probably wasn't the best idea, so Jeramy was asked to run with her. 
He told her right from the start he was going to push her and not let her stop.  She did AMAZING!  I thought for sure they would take at least 45 minutes, so I missed them coming over the finish line at 34 minutes!  (That's why you get pics of them drinking their water at the end). 

She was exhausted and claimed not to care that she had done so well, but I know she was proud.  I told her she could run with me in the spring and she quickly let me know she was done with 5k's.  No more running for her.  We'll see about that.  (Jeramy said that you never ask a runner about their next race right after they have just finished one). 

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Congrats! What a trooper to stick with it. Even if she doesn't run again, it will help her accomplish other goals in life. But yeah, she'll run again. (Oh and good job Jeramy.)

Adhis said...

I congratulated her at the ward activity later that day. She was "hesitantly proud" of herself. :D

CBG said...

Good for her! I bet she'll be back at it at some point. :)