Thursday, September 8, 2011

First day of school...take two

Lindsay has been looking forward to the first day of school, well, forever.  As it grew nearer and nearer, she could hardly contain her excitement.  She would tell random strangers how many days until school started.  We had a chain to help her count down the days.  On the eve of the Big Day, we laid out her clothes, put curlers in her hair, said prayers, then put a very excited Lindsay to bed. 
3 a.m. I head the dreaded "cough cough...shuffle shuffle...gag gag."  I immediately said in my head, "Anyone but Lindsay, PLEASE, anyone but Lindsay."  In stumbled puking Lindsay.  We got to the bathroom where she kept saying, "Make it stop, Mom!"  But I couldn't.  I sat on the floor and rocked her.  In walked Macie.  She immediately started crying and said, "You never do anything fun with me.  You never hold me like that."  I told her to go lay with Dad.  She said no, Maddie whispers, "Macie, come here."  Macie slept with Maddie that night.  Thank you, Maddie!  Poor Macie was feeling left out of all the puking fun. 
I thought Lindsay's sickness might just be nerves, so I put her back to bed.  2 hours later, more puking.  That's when I broke it to her that it was not looking good for her going to school.  Tears.  Oh, so many tears.  "I'm fine, mom, really!"  I told her to sleep until 7, if she could get up and eat breakfast, we'd see.  At 7, she eagerly requested yogurt, took 2 bites and said, "This isn't good, can I have toast instead?"  I brought her toast.  She looked at it and cried.  The crying pretty much went on all day.  I tried to take a picture of my sad little Lindsay, this is all I got...

I kept the blinds closed so she couldn't see the kids at the bus stop.  I tried to make her feel better, but whenever she thought about missing school, she cried.  I felt soooo bad!
Around 2, she perked right up and ate and started playing.  She then said, "Mom, can you take me to school now?"  I had to break it to her that school was over.  More tears. 
That night, we laid out the same outfit, put curlers back in her hair, prayed that she would keep feeling good, and put a less excited, but still excited Lindsay to bed.  (And also put towels on every one's pillows, and garbages by their beds). 
No one woke up.
Lindsay got to go to school!
She rode the bus with Maddie. 
She played before school with her bestest buds.  When she saw me there, she came over and said, "Um, why are you here?"  Well, it's what mom's do on the second first day of school. 
Macie and I went shopping alone.  It was weird. 
When she got home from school, I was ready for happy bubbly, talking a mile a minute Lindsay.  
Instead, I got a little girl who ran to me crying and hugged me tight. 
When she calmed down, she finally told me that the bus driver had not let the 3 little girls sit together and Lindsay had to sit by...a boy.  A boy she didn't even know.  Then that boy told her she missed her bus stop and she panicked. 
Once we talked it through, she calmed down. 
But she refused to talk about her day.
Until Jeramy got home, then we got the play by play. 
So glad that she's finally in school!

3 comments:

Marie said...

This post made ME cry! Poor Lindsey!!

Marie said...

LindsAy! Sorry! :)

Adhis said...

You have *interesting* little girls.

Macie: You never do anything fun with me.

Lindsay: Um, why are you here?

I'm glad you are recording these moments because they are going to be part of your family lore!