
Do you ever wonder how your kids view you? Are you the hero in your home or the villain? Here's 2 examples:
Day #1: We went shopping with Grandma, then to lunch at In and Out. Then we played at Grandma's and Tracy's until Macie had her melt-down and we came home. The afternoon was full of whining and crying and a whole bunch of "hold me's." By the time we had to go to Maddie's basketball game, I was done being Mom for the day. Jeramy couldn't come to her game, so I got to chase the 2 little ones for an hour on my own. Then I was really done being the Mom. I'm pretty sure there was a black raincloud over my head at this point. We got home and I realized I forgot to get the potatoes peeled and cut for out dinner before we left. So I frantically peeled and cut while the starving little girls hit, screamed and cried.
Then I lost it.
I yelled. I yelled loud and long.
I haven't yelled in a long time.
Everyone reacted:
Maddie yelled back.
Macie ran and hid from my wrath.
Lindsay's bottom lip started quivering and her eyes filled with tears.
Then I felt bad.
I am the villain today in our home.
Day #2
Yesterday Lindsay had preschool. Macie and I went to a new place and got an oil change. They had a huge window so she could see the "doctors" working on our car. She was glued to that window! She turned to me and said with the biggest grin ever, "Mom, this is exciting!" When the car was done, she giggled with glee when she saw they had put a flower on the dashboard and 2 mints on my seat. We even got a car wash after and she LOVED it. When the car was covered with suds she said, "Mom, how you gunna drive home?" And how could I make this trip any better? We went to "Her store" (Macey's) grocery shopping. She loves that place. She got her smarties at checkout - which she had clutched in her hand when she fell asleep in the car.
Got home, picked up Lindsay. Lindsay was being a big helper and carried a whole gallon of milk in the house. Got to the kitchen. DROPPED it. It broke. Wow. Milk everywhere.....I didn't yell. She said, "mom, it was an accident" I said that it was all right. Then I remembered that I have a steam vac that can suck up water, so I went and got it and had all the milk cleaned up in 5 minutes and didn't even need a towel. I rock.
I gave the girls these fun little suckers and we all laughed and laughed and had a great time while they ate them.

And then, the crowning moment in my day....everyone LIKED dinner! In the history of me being a mom and cooking, that has never happened. I made Cafe Rio shredded chicken and Tomatillo dressing and we had burritos/salads. No complaining. No tears (not even from Jeramy). I even got a few "This is really good!" And Miss Maddie got herself an extra little cup of the dressing and probably would have drank it had I let her.
Yesterday I was the hero.
So, who will I be today? Who will you be today?
6 comments:
Thank you for the blog- life is good again. I am sooo the hero today!
I feel like more often than not, I am the villain. Mostly because, since I am my own WORST critic, I remember the bad more than the good. But I know that Hailey remembers the good, most of the time. I certainly hope that there are more good days than bad :)
On another note, WHERE was this place you took your car?? I want to visit there!!
It is good that there are Hero's and villian's in life.
Oh, I am NOT going to answer that today.
Excuse me while I go change my outfit...
My days are heroic for Kameron and villan for Kaden and Ellie...I need to work on that. I LOVE that pic of Macie! Super cute
What a great concept, being the hero or villain of the family. That's a good way to think about life. I've been the villain this morning, but I'm going to try to be the hero this afternoon. By the way, I love your blog!
Post a Comment