I love crafts. I come from a long line of crafters and sewers. For the past year or so I've been saying I want to learn how to sew. Jeramy rolls his eyes and laughs every time I say it. Well, I decided it was really time to learn. I borrowed my sister's sewing machine and took it to Malad with me and got a crash course on sewing from my mother-in-law. She was incredibly patient with me - even when I broke needles and turned the bobbin thingie the wrong way...a lot. I left her house feeling pretty confident...
Sew...I came home and made bean bags. The kids were impressed. Then I asked Lindsay what she wanted and she said a bag. Huh. I can do that...
I made a bag! It only has 2 real problems. 1) I sewed the straps on wrong so it's more like a backpack than a purse and 2). I didn't fold the edge on the pocket far enough under so it sticks out. Both of these issues could easily be unpicked and redone - yeah right. I am not a perfectionist.
Then we saw the most adorable pillowcase dress at Cafe Rio and I said to Jeramy, "I can do that." He rolled his eyes and laughed, so I went home and did it! This one has about a million mistakes, but hey - I did it!
My mom is also a sewer who says now, "Why sew when I can buy things on clearance for cheaper than fabric?" I totally agree. BUT, she got all excited with my new-found hobby and gave me oodles of old fabric (hence the fabric of the dress) AND she handed me my first pattern. YIKES. I read the instructions, looked at the crunchy paper, and handed it back to her. I'm not ready for that yet.
And then I made this:
JUST KIDDING! My amazing mother-in-law just bought one of those huge quilting machines that take up an entire room. I bought the fabric and stuff and she put it together for me. I LOVE it! Macie isn't 100% in love yet because she thinks that she can't have this blanket and her princess blanket at the same time. We're working on it. The first night I just forgot to find her pink blanket and put her to bed, she usually yells at us until someone brings her blanket to her. About a half hour after bed, I went to check on her and found her quietly sobbing "My blankie all gone, I want my blankie." Poor kid.

5 comments:
You are so crafty. Kat helped me make pillowcases and it was pretty fun! I love the bag.
I'm so proud of you! Cute stuff! You're ready for capes/aprons.
Patterns aren't too scary. It's just like reading a recipe. And there's usually an explanation of terms right on the pattern. Start with one labeled "Easy to Sew" - there are a bunch of kids' ones at WalMart like that.
Way to go!
I'll be on pins and needles waiting to see what you make next!
Yea! You did so good! I am totally impressed. This reminded me that I need to get you that pattern information. It is called Pink Fig Patterns, The Girly Stripwork Skirt. I also have the pattern for the top that goes with this. I would totally be willing to help you out with sewing it if you would like. Your girls will LOVE them!
Yea Heidi! I'm trying to get my sister to make me a crib bumper but I looked at the pattern myself and I'm like, "I could do that!" But do you think I will?...
Post a Comment