Saturday afternoon Jeramy and Lindsay were goofing around on our bed. Jer loves nothing more than to tease us girls until, well, we do something stupid. He constantly says to me, "Heidi, what happens when you try to _______ (fill in the blank with pretty much anything)?"
I say, "I get hurt." And I know to stop. (Like, what happens when you try to run the weed eater? I get hurt. What happens when you try to run from me with the remote? I trip and get hurt. You get it - I'm a little clumsy).
My kids fall into that same category. Lindsay was poking Jeramy and he would poke her back. I knew this could only end in someone getting hurt. I went to the bathroom and shortly after heard a loud THUD and a lot of hurt crying (and it wasn't Jeramy's hurt cry). I head Jeramy try to calm her down, but she just cried for her Mommy. I came out to assess the damage to find that she had fallen off the bed and hit her ear on the nightstand. There was a little blood, but she looked all right. We talked it through between sobs I got, "Dad.....poked me....and made me....fall off the bed." Dad felt pretty bad.
As the hour passed, her poor little ear got more and more swollen and black and blue. It looked downright awful by bedtime. Me, being the kind, observant mother that I am - ripped her shirt off her head while getting her in her pj's and she screamed and screamed in pain. (I should add that I forgot about the next 4 times I got her dressed, too). And then once in bed, she realized she couldn't lay on that side. Poor kid. Her sweet, caring mom told her to get over it.
As I carefully brushed her hair for church the next morning, I quickly decided on keeping her hair down to cover the nasty black bruises.
After church though, she informed me that she told her teachers about her dad pushing her off the bed and that she showed them her ear. I can only imagine how that went down.
"Lindsay, can you think of something you like to do with your family?"
"My Dad pushes me off beds - wanna see? It really hurts, but my mom said to get over it."
I'm waiting for the call....
Also, yesterday I asked her if I could take a picture of her ear and she gladly said yes, so as I posed her she said, "Mom, you're not going to blog my ear - are you???" I said yes and she quickly yelled "NO! Don't blog my ear!" and ran away. So, if you want to see the bruises, you'll just have to ask her.
2 comments:
It's kinda sad when your little child knows you blog. Surely, a sign of on-going neglect. It's time to make that phone call now...
I'm sure teachers get all kinds of good stories.
Tomorrow afternoon we're getting family pictures. I have to be gone in the morning and I'm trying to think of the right way to phrase this to Ben, "We don't want any bruises or scrapes for pictures. Please don't play with the kids. Just watch a movie. Don't play!"
Post a Comment