With a title like that, I bet half of you think this post will be about Twilight. Nope.
9 1/2 years ago Jeramy and I were sealed together for time and all eternity. Along with us being sealed, many other things were sealed together - forced into a life together. Like his Snackmaster and my crepe maker that have been forced to live side by side in my cabinet for almost 10 years. His Metallica CD's and my church CD's, smashed face to face in the same CD case. All of his computer books stacked on top of my romance and children's books. Our lives meshed together, even our old hand-me-down silverware from years at college had to learn to co-exist in one drawer together. They got along well for many years, then one year my mother-in-law bought me a new set for Christmas. I was almost giddy to have a matching set and quickly threw out ALL of our old silverware. No biases to his and mine - all went.
Service for 12, sigh. Life is good. All matching, all clean.
6 years and 3 kids later...
"Dang it, another spoon in the disposal, why is it always the spoons???"
"No, you can't take the forks out to the sandbox."
"Get me a knife, the paper is stuck in the shredder again."
On Sunday we had 16 people over for dinner. As I was setting the table, I got to 10 and ran out of forks. "Huh." I thought. I checked the dishwasher. Nope. I checked the back of the drawer. Nope. Well, I guess 2 missing isn't too bad....wait...I had 12 dinner forks and 12 salad forks. I should have 24 FORKS!!! I am missing 14 forks. How on earth have I lost 14 forks??
Monday morning I was upstairs reading and Macie and Lindsay were down eating their waffles. I then hear the shuffle of little feet across the kitchen. I hear a "swoosh" sound. Then a "Slam." I process these sounds. I go downstairs and open the cabinet where the garbage is, and it all falls into place. The "Swoosh" was Macie's paper plate and FORK being thrown in the garbage. The "Slam" was the cabinet as she shut it.
So helpful.
I might need to invest in a metal detector to scan my garbage before throwing it out from now on. But hey, we found out this week in my family that sometimes metal detectors don't catch everything, right Dad?
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
So funny! We have the same problem at our house. I think that the forks and our socks are hiding somewhere having a party!
How would it be to have a matching set. I have never had that, I still have Dan's and my commingling college sets. PLus Moms old camping stuff.
I kept some pieces of our old set for those times when you just need to pry something open etc.
Sorry about your casualties! What do you have against Metallica anyway?
That's hilarious! Well, maybe not so, but I can just picture here doing that!
When I was a teenager, my family went through a period where we could not find the dustpan, so we had to keep buying a new one every month or so. One day, I was about to empty the trash when I found the dustpan sitting in it. I realized that in my teenage laziness, I'd sweep, pick up the dirt, dump it in the trash, and leave the dustpan resting there "just for now" until I had a moment when I was going to walk near the spot where it was typically stored.
I solved the mystery, but I never told my parents.
That is hilarious! I can't believe that you lost so many forks. :) I think we need to install a metal detector in your doorway. LOL She was trying so hard to be helpful.
I LAUGHED out loud...need I say more?!!!!!!!!!!! =)
Post a Comment