So, I typed this up last week, but never posted. I've had the itch to blog today, but no inspiring stories to share, so I'll give ya this one.
Madison's teacher had her baby in January and has been out since then. Mrs. Belnap told the kids she would be back in March, so when March 1st rolled around, Maddie excitedly turned the page on my calendar and told us that Mrs. Belnap would be back on Monday, March 2nd.
She came home Monday and told us that Mrs. Belnap was back. I was surprised, but didn't really care. Then a few days later she said, "Today, Mrs. Knight...I mean Mrs Belnap..." and I got curious. I started quizzing her on things and with a lot of pressure, she finally caved and told me that she wasn't really back. I was shocked that she had lied to me!
Yesterday she came home and said that Mrs Belnap was really back today. Then she looked at my calendar, sat back down at the table and said, "Mrs Belnap needs Mrs Knight to be our sub again tomorrow." I thought nothing of it. Later on she said, "Mom, are we going to Grandpa's today - it's his birthday." I told her that it wasn't his birthday today, but next Monday. Then I stopped to think.
She had looked at the calendar.
She thought it was the 23rd.
On the 24th, I help in her class. She had looked to see what day I would be in her class and told me there would be a sub.
She was lying to me AGAIN!
She got quiet. Then told me that Mrs Belnap was going to be gone NEXT Tuesday, not this Tuesday.
By then I was on to her evil plan, but didn't want to fight this battle alone. This time I involved the meanest person I know - Jeramy. I told him my suspicions and he got the biggest grin ever.
"Maddie" he says, "I was thinking maybe tomorrow I could come talk to Mrs Belnap.
"No, Dad!"
"Why not? How about I just take you to school and we go in and talk to her, I really want to see her. I'm so glad she's back."
A little more panic this time, "NO DAD!"
"maybe I'll just send her an email and ask when we could talk then."
"No emails!!!" Jer and I smile at each other. We dropped it and she dropped it, but watched up both like a hawk to see if we got on the computer.
This morning Jeramy informed her that he was taking her to school. I thought she was going to cry. Poor kid! He said to me, "I'll just drive her and wait for her to crack and tell the truth." I finally had pity on my poor child and told him he could not do that.
I am baffled. How is it that a 6 year old can lie? Not only lie, but plan out her lies and think ahead. If she's this good at lying at 6, how is she going to be at 16? I'm feeling a FHE lesson about telling the truth coming on!
4 comments:
WOW! That's all I have to say. I can just imagine that Hailey's going to be like that when she's Maddie's age.
I wish you more luck than we've had. Bah!
What I am wondering is why she is lying about that? She could at least try to get something out of all the work! Lol!:)
I do have to say that Preston has been telling these tall tales or "stories" as we call them since he was 4. And they are only getting more interesting as he gets older. I may really be in for it.
What's with the useless lying?? Maybe I should go over and show that girl how to fib with a PURPOSE!
Post a Comment