Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lindsay's birthday!

Lindsay has been looking forward to turning six for, well, 364 days.  She knew months ago that she wanted to have a "School Party."  It took me months to figure out what that meant. 
I made adorable invitations that were crayon boxes and you pulled the crayons out to get the party info.  I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of them. 
We invited 10 friends.  It seemed reasonable until I was making treat bags and it hit me that I have 3 kids.  10+3=way too many kids at a party!  We survived though and had a "grape" time.  (That's what her treat bags said, "Thanks for coming, we hope you had a grape time.")
She wanted a school bus cake, so I delivered.  She loved it, but said, "The one in the picture didn't have drippy looking frosting."  Sigh.  I did my best. 
We started out our party by drawing on the table.  The kids loved that!  Then we played back to school bingo, followed up by "I'm going to school and I'm going to take..."  They did really good for a bunch of 6 year olds!  We were then supposed to do relay games outside, but there was a sudden rainstorm that came out of no where, so we improvised and did them inside. 
(I just love the picture with Bonnie on the bottom left side...are we having fun yet?  Also, the "twin" dogs were given by my two friends who are coupon queens...love you both, and Lindsay loved getting twins!)
Lately I've been watching a lot of cooking shows and I hate the "modern" way they plate their food.  I really enjoyed this scoop of ice cream and person on the cake...that's my idea of modern plating!
On Lindsay's actual birthday we went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse.  She actually got on the saddle this year!  We then went to grandma's for a minute, then to the mall to Build Her Bear with her cousin Carly.  It took us an hour to build a bear.  I should have been left home because I kept looking at the prices and freaking out.  Carly kept telling me to calm down, it wasn't my money.  Lindsay kept saying, "mom, quit trying to change my mind!"  She ended up with Lemon, the white kitty.  She loves her, thanks Carly, Cindy and Shelby!
We came home around 8.  Opened more presents.  By then everyone was beat.  Lindsay cried because she didn't want to share.  Maddie cried because she wanted presents.  Macie said, "Look, Mom, I'm being good, right?"  Yes she was.  I cried because I just wanted everyone to go to bed.  Jeramy cried, all right, he didn't. 
We love our Lindsay! 
I love that she loves musicals.  She recently discovered The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. 
I love that she can play for hours in her room by herself. 
I love when she plays school. 
I love that she loves real school. 
I love how social she is and that she can't wait to play outside with her friends. 
I'm not sure I love that she has her first crush, but it's kind of cute to watch her and her little girlfriends giggle about boys. 
I love when she watches Extreme Makeover Home Edition and she squeals in delight when they reveal the home. 
I love that she'll watch Gilmore Girls with me.  
I love how excited she gets when we have broccoli or salad for dinner. 
I love that she prays every night for Brandon and Rachel and KaDee and Grandma and pretty much anyone she's heard me talk about that day that is sick. 
I love how curious she is.  Her aunt just had a baby.  Lindsay and I were sitting on the couch alone and she turned to me and said, "mom, how do babies get out?"  Sigh.  I told her. She giggled and said, "No, really, Mom."  We talked it through and I'm not sure she believes me. 
I love how excited she gets when Jeramy gets home and she has to tell him every detail of her day even before he puts his laptop down. 
I can't believe it's been 6 years! Happy Birthday, Lindsay!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Awesome cake! And at our house no birthday party is complete without the rainstorm. Happy Birthday Lindsay!