


Yesterday I had an early morning meeting at church. When I got home, I thought, "There is 4 hours before church, I should put curlers in the girls hair."
So I pulled out the dusty curlers. Macie was amazed by them. "Mom, what do you do with those?" That's when I realized she had never had them in her hair.
You'll notice in the 3 pictures above, Maddie was quite familiar with curlers. They were just a part of her every day life for the first few years of her life. (Maybe that's why she now refuses to let me even curl the ends of her hair).
Well, Macie left the curlers in her hair for a total of 20 minutes before she yanked them all out.
Lindsay's hair looked absolutely beautiful curled! (and yet, I forgot to take a picture). As we sat there in sacrament meeting, I noticed the curl slowly going away, and by then time she went to primary it was just wavy.
Maddie actually asked for curlers also. I had to use my hot curlers on her hair because I was all out of the foam kind. I didn't get to leave them in long enough because she had to go be Jeramy's home teaching companion. Hers didn't curl at all.
Later that night, we had tithing settlement. As we sat waiting for our turn, I looked at each of my girls and thought, "When did I stop caring?"
Macie had somehow got in the car and to the church without shoes. Did we drive the 30 seconds home to get them? Nope. She also had a big glob of what I think was glittery chap stick in the back of her hair. Maddie's hair was a wreck. Lindsay was passable, but in no way really appropriate to be out in public.
A friend of mine blogged about this a few months ago, and as I read it, realized how true it was for me, too! When Madddie was little, we never left the house without her hair done, curled and with a bow. Lindsay was pretty much the same. Macie...well, not so much. Some mornings I'll look at her and think, "Eh, still looks good enough." And I just don't do her hair. (Now you all know what a horrible mother I am). In my defense, she's terrible when I try to do her hair and some days, you just have to pick your battles, right?
I guess I'll blame my lack of caring on the mullet post of 2009
2 comments:
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. You look great! Lots of moms with three kids give up on *themselves* and devote their primping energy to their kids. That's just backwards.
As your girls grow up, they will take their cue on how to care for their appearance more from how their mom cared for her herself than on how their mom dressed them.
Hehe. I think of your mullet posting quite often. Just this Sunday I put her thing on the SIDE so it wouldn't resemble a mullet. Not that I agree with Jeramy. But just in case people around me do. Darn it!
I love curls lately. Even my own hair. I didn't know you could leave the foam ones in for just a little bit. With my STRAIGHT hair, I have to leave them in all night! Nicole's too. If I can't do overnight, I use the heated conair purple and pink ones. Those are amazing but I think I've burned my fingers enough times that I can't feel it anymore.
If you WANT to do better, do it. If you really don't care, then don't. I've noticed that my neices here always look GORGEOUS for school pictures but the rest of the year they're a little... raggamuffin-ish? Seriously. But does it matter? Not necessarily. To me, appearances aren't as important as cleanliness. If they haven't bathed for two weeks, THEN you should feel bad.
Post a Comment