Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happiness is...


The other night after a pretty rough day, I started popping my (Pretty much) nightly popcorn. I sighed and smiled, "This makes me so happy." So I took a picture of the line up for the night. Coke with crushed ice from Sonic, air popped popcorn with spray butter and sea salt (none of that microwave stuff for me), and an orange. This is my favorite snack and I really do eat it pretty much nightly. And yes, I've gained some weight lately...but honestly, the orange has 34 calories, the air popped popcorn has next to no calories and well, the drink was just an added bonus that day that took my favorite snack from "nice" to "happiness" level.

The real bummer is that I have to wait until everyone - especially Lindsay - is asleep to do this or there are calls down the stairs, "Mom, are you making popcorn??" And then I have to let them eat it in bed. It gets really annoying on the nights that they just won't fall asleep, or when the popper sets off our smoke alarms- which it does all too often for some odd reason. And, I must clean up all evidence of the popcorn when I'm done, because if I leave the popper out on the counter, it's the first thing Lindsay will notice in the morning and I will get in sooo much trouble.

Why not just make it for my kids you might ask? This is my treat and I don't want to share. I don't ask them to share their Halloween candy - - oh, I guess I do that, too.

So, if you walk past our house late at night and smell popcorn, or hear the smoke alarms going off - smile and know that I am happy!

(And I fully blame my Dad for my obsession with popcorn, he eats it nightly as well. And my obsession with crushed ice is all my mom. She buys bags of Sonic ice weekly).

9 comments:

Janet said...

Ohhh I LOVE popcorn!! I may just show up one night to join you!

Man Of Steele said...

The only thing that is missing is a poor, semi good, or great Western movie.

Adhis said...

Dave's a popcorn dude, too. I don't get it. Mostly because it involves a small measure of work, whereas with ice cream, I don't even have to close the freezer door to start digging in.

Mandi Ward said...

You make laugh and smile, thanks. Every mom needs there "thing" that helps them through the day. You go Heidi.

Kristen said...

You don't HAVE to wait for them to be asleep. =o)

After bedtime my parents found no shame in saying "This treat is for Mom and Dad only. You can eat it when you're a mom. Go back to bed."

We do it now and they seem to still love us. And they're excited to be parents someday!

Russ Steele said...

Hurray for happy Things! I do the same thing, well everything but the orange.I have gotten in trouble with my wife because I send the kids to bed and start popping corn. I found that it was worse to have her mad at me instead of the kids so I try to pop it earlier now.

Tarina said...

That is too funny. I LOVE crushed ice and popcorn. we'd make a good team. When we were little every
Sunday My dad would pop a huge bucket of popcorn and we'd all sit around and eat it. Good times!

Kristen said...

I need some popcorn. Now.

islandgirl said...

Spray on butter, now why didn't I think of that? Who knew you could buy sonic ice by the bag too!