Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reward myself, I've earned it.

Soon after Jeramy and I were married, we realized that we don't work well together. Sure, we compliment each others' strengths and weaknesses, but we can not work together on a project. It may have something to do with - well - me. I like to be in charge and to do things my way. I am always right. (see previous post about me being the boss).
We found this out putting together our entertainment center a few weeks into our marriage. From then on, we just did things separate. Like when we were expecting Maddie, he went in the bedroom and put the crib together while I stayed out in the front room and put the swing together. Very good night. Got a lot done. We tried to paint our bedroom together a few years back and quickly learned that we can't paint together, so I now am in charge of all the painting in our house.

This has been a bad spider summer around here. We've found 7 black widows in our garage. YUCK. A few weeks ago I put my foot down and told Jeramy it was his "manly duty" to clean out the garage and spray for spiders. He told me he didn't want to and so it was my "wifely duty". Neither of us wanted to do it, so it didn't get done. Finally yesterday we decided to do it together. I took a deep breath - glad that he was helping - and held that breath for 2 hours while we cleaned. I can honestly say, it wasn't that bad. (Both the working together and the cleaning).

Lesson learned. I can play nicely with others - even if I'm not in charge.
(Oh, and I should probably add that I rewarded myself with this):
This is a banana split from Thanksgiving Point. 1 banana, 3 scoops of ice cream (mint, cookie dough and strawberry cheesecake) 3 toppings (hot fudge, caramel and M&M's) whipped cream and a cherry on top. And yes, it is bigger than Macie's head. Many people walked by and "ooohed and awed" at the marvelous sight.
Us girls polished the whole thing off. Although, I was the one who got stuck with the bananas. And I feel that I should point out another difference with me and Jer at this point. While I was eating this huge, many flavored masterpiece, he had a very boring and bland chocolate shake. He was the one to point this one out.
Also, while we were waiting in line, the person in front of us ordered a cookie sundae. It consisted of smearing hot fudge all over a plate, then putting a huge cookie in it, then ice cream on top and more hot fudge. As I was watching in awe and trying to decide if I wanted that instead, Jeramy says, "Oh how sick! I can't believe someone would eat that!"

p.s. Happy 300th post to me, maybe I should go back and get that cookie one to celebrate...

4 comments:

Adhis said...

You're not alone. Most husbands and wives test out their true commitment to that eternal marriage thing when working on projects together.

I like that you took a cue from the Arctic Circle commercials where they reward themselves for taking out the garbage. :) Cute. And well-deserved.

Tarina said...

Mmmmmmm, that cookie one sounds fabulous. I LOVE cookies. Glad you could accomplish a task together.

Colleen said...

You definately earned it! The black widows have been outrageous this summer. We've had about a dozen, and I've been rewarding myself with cookie dough all summer.

Kristen said...

CHUBBY'S!!! Looks super yummy.

We're the same on projects. Last week I was so desperate for help that I was just grateful and kept my mouth shut. Yes, it's humbling to realize that it's mostly my fault. Actually I think it's whoever cares the most about the project. Which is usually the wifey. =o)