Have you ever answered your phone and had the person on the other end say:
"The cash register is off $200, what should I do?" or
"I don't have my keys to close the store, can you come?" or
"I don't have my keys to open the store, can you come?" or
"I didn't get out of the store before the alarm went off and I don't have my codes, what should I do?" or
"Ma'am, this is the Centerville police. It's 2:30 a.m and your alarm is going off in the store, can you [drive 30 minutes to] come check it out?" or
"this is ShopKo. We just caught one of your employees shoplifting."
"this lady's credit card just fell down the side of the register and we can't get it out." or
"I just fell off the ladder and sliced my head open" or
"The toilet's backed up and there isn't a plunger" or
"I just had a guy pull a knife on me."
I have. All of the above and more.
Have you ever witnessed:
A man standing in the mall's fountain calling us all to repent and be saved?
A man take off his shoes and socks and clip his toenails onto the carpet and leave them there?
Very "pretty" men stealing size 12 ladies shoes?
Men wearing women's shoes and asking for help finding their size?
Someone stealing your purse?
A drug deal in a parking lot?
Someone going through the pockets of your coat that is hanging in the back room?
Your store being dusted for fingerprints?
Someone using your bathroom in the back, then you go in the bathroom and discover that he had diarrhea and the toilet got backed up and IT was all over the walls and sink, etc.
A 14 year old girl hide a stolen checkbook in your store?
I have. And lots more that I'm sure I'll remember later.
I was a store manager for Payless Shoes for 5 years. I ran 5 stores in that time period and probably had a million employees - good and bad. I'm still in contact with lots of the good ones, and this past Saturday I went out to lunch with some of them.
As I was making the long drive to lunch in Sugarhouse, I reflected a lot on my time with these people (and some that couldn't make it for lunch). We were together and there for each other through so many happy times, and so many sad times. There were babies born, promotions, engagements and weddings, great days at school and work, and so many happy things that we shared. And there were sad times too. Broken engagements, miscarriages, a house burning down, car being stolen, health struggles, financial struggles, martial struggles bad days at work, and on and on. I realized how lucky I was to have such great people around me at those times, and how happy I am that we are still friends!
(and sorry, no picture. I forgot I had my camera with me until the drive home).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ew. The plunger references reminded me of when I worked as a janitor in a book store. Holy ::GAG::
Some people have all the fun!
I remember those days and how excited I was when you finally had time for ME. =o) It sounds like you were a fabulous boss and friend.
She was a fabulous boss and still is a fabulous friend! Sorry Heidi that you were not scary ! :( I know you tried but too bad. I am so thankful for that short time to work with you. Thanks for the friendship!
For some of us, those things just happened the other day. Sometimes I wish I could just reflect on those days instead of cleaning up after little kids who seriously cant aim very good, or the big foreign guy who doesnt speak english hanging out in my backroom after using our associate bathroom. But I still love Payless....
Post a Comment