Friday night I was supposed to go here, but Thursday night Jer told me about a leadership training on the new church family history site. I was torn. I look forward to this party every year, but I also wanted to learn about the new site. So I put it on my sister Kerry. I said, "If you want to babysit my kids Friday night, I will go with Jer to this training. If you have plans, then I'll go to my party and Jer will stay home." Well, she made a few calls and figured out a way to babysit. I was a little bummed.
We got to the church and started our training. Can I say my terrible no good very bad attitude quickly went away? I am so excited for this new site! It is so easy that even I can use it!
Here's the scoop...
www.new.familysearch.org is the new site. You have to have your confirmation date and membership # to get registered. If you don't have this, contact your clerk's office and they can get it for you. There is a 10 minute video on how to get started. Watch this. The old site took 16 steps to get a name temple-ready, the new site is only 5. It's crazy how easy it is. While we were in our meeting I was cruising my family tree and found only 4 generations back someone who wasn't sealed to his parents. The site tells you right there that the work needs to be done. If you want to do the work, you can print out a card to take to the temple right there!
I hope I've got some of you excited. But I should warn you that not all areas have access yet. Yesterday I went up to show my Dad the new site and he can't get in yet. So I signed in and I showed him around and I think he was pretty excited about it. He then said, "Grandma gave me some names she wants us to check on." He read me the first name on his list, we did a search. There he was with no temple work done!! I can hardly wait to get going on this.
I highly recommend taking the Family History class at church. I'm pretty sure ours starts this Sunday. I will admit that I have always thought that Family history is for the old people to do, but it is so not, especially now with all the tools online we have!
So, are you too chicken to try something your grandma does?? I hope not!
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love it too! Our area has had it for several months and it's amazing. You really can just sit and do a little here and there.
A few of us young moms are putting our time into it and say "bull" to waiting until our kids are older. I've already seen the blessings in our young family. You're cheating yourself if you wait. =o)
Way to go Heidi!
My dad has been serving as a service missionary for over a year now providing support to the users of this new site. He loves it. Although, the fact that he loves it so much means I haven't even looked at it. I am a family history slacker because I know he's doing it! But he'll be glad to know that you love it.
Already started. Went and printed off my father-in-laws card to have his temple work done! We are so excited! Can't wait to start checking on who else is waiting!!!!
Dave never went, and I expressly told him to go to the training and bring back some ice cream for me. Sheesh.
Post a Comment