I have been a stay at home mom since Lindsay was born and I have loved it! I know we have been blessed so that I could be home with all of our girls and I'm so grateful for that. Lately I've been itching to do something more with my time. I sat down to apply to go back to school and it felt wrong. I tried to start teaching piano but didn't get any students. I tried to get more involved with volunteering at Thanksgiving Point, but that didn't happen. I've felt a little lost since being released from the primary presidency.
At the end of November I got called to the stake primary board which in our stake is a pretty busy calling. I got super excited about that! Then I also had an old neighbor who was looking for an administrative assistant that could work from home. I applied and interviewed (which was super weird after not doing it for so long) and got the job! The past few months have been so crazy busy but so much fun for me. I work about 10 hours a week from home making phone calls, scheduling appointments and just keeping him organized. It's been hard to find balance, especially now that Lexi isn't napping anymore, but I feel like I've been managing it all right. Our home might not be as clean as it was, but we are all still surviving. I have loved using my brain for things other than every day mommy things. One night I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the envelopes to print correctly. I finally got it to work and I was seriously giddy! (And then I printed all of them upside down and had to redo them all). Jeramy has been supportive, but not helpful - which I guess I'm grateful for. I'll ask him to teach me how to do things that I know he knows how to do, but he's made me go google it and figure it out on my own. And then I feel even smarter for figuring it out on my own.
Very shortly after I was hired, he found out he was going to need to find a new office, so I was able to help him look and find a new office and make a huge job change for him from being in private practice to opening his own clinic with other therapists as his employees. I've been shopping for desks, chairs and all that fun stuff for him. I've also learned a lot about Internet providers and phone lines and other really random things that I never cared to learn about, but now I'm a pro.
Everyone keeps saying, "Are you loving the extra money?" Well, I only get paid once a month and my first check helped pay for Christmas. My second check arrived just in time to pay for a garage door repair and check number three just bought the girls a new dresser that they desperately needed. So, nothing fun yet, but it's been nice to have a little extra flow coming in to cover those not planned expenses. And eventually my money will buy me new carpet!
My girls have been cute about it. I've had to go in for meetings and such on some pretty random days (Christmas eve day, new year's day, Saturdays) because those are times that Jeramy was home so I was able to go in. One child - who shall remain nameless - has complained a lot about it, but that's just her personality. That same child has been "making appointments" for her day care that she runs in her room and she has been very careful not to double book herself. :) She has also been making sticky notes that say "sign here please." Yeah, I make those for a lot of forms, too. It's been cute to watch them watch me.
I love to be busy. I love to feel like I'm making a difference. Between my new calling and my new job, I'm feeling a lot more complete. I'm grateful that I'm able to do most of my job from home. I'm excited to watch his new clinic grow and change in the next few weeks! I have met with all of his new therapists and I'm impressed. His clinic will have counseling for all sorts of people and all sorts of needs. I'm super excited about Christina who deals with children, and also with Rita who does equine therapy (which I had no idea what that meant). His site is just about done, and if you want to check it out, here ya go!
Redwood Family Therapy
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment