Saturday, November 21, 2009

More adventures in parenting

Does this make me a good mom or a bad mom??

Let me explain.
Yes, I let my kids play with a bucket of beans. It is one of their favorite things to do, and I only get it out like once a month. BUT, we do have rules.
1) the beans stay in the kitchen on the tile.
2) you can only get 5 utensils out of my utensil drawer to use.
Apparently the girls forgot the rules yesterday.
I got the beans out and then went upstairs to iron (not even something fun like "I went upstairs to read a good book or watch TV."). I was gone about 20 minutes and came downstairs to this mess. I was not a happy mom. I'm fine with sweeping beans up in the kitchen, but I hate trying to get them off the carpet, and the couch, and I'm still finding them in odd places throughout the house. I filled the sink up with soap and water for all my utensils and made Lindsay wash them all - which she thought was oodles of fun - so I imagine she'll be making this mess again next time just so she can wash the dishes by hand.
I will admit I have been ignoring my children just a tad lately. This sewing thing is a time-sucker. I have made 3 adorable skirts that you'll just have to wait and see. I'm hoping to get a cute picture of them together in their skirts for our Christmas cards. Skirt #1 took me 5 hours, skirt #2 only 2 1/2, skirt #3 (which Maddie said, "I don't even want a skirt." and I said, "Too bad, I already bought the fabric.") only took me 3 hours - with a whiny Macie following me around saying "Momma, lay with me....watch a movie with me....hold me...." I felt a little bad ignoring her, but not bad enough to stop. :) Then last night I tried making pj pants for the girls for Christmas - WOW - they only took about 20 minutes. I guess I should have started my sewing career with pants, not incredibly difficult skirts.
I should also say a big THANK YOU to my mom, my mother-in-law, Robin, Kerry, Kat, and even my dad. These people all received phone calls about my sewing projects. I started spacing out who I would call- "No, I just called Robin, now I should call Mary. Just called Mary, now I'll try Mom." So I didn't look so dumb to just one person. Yes, I even asked my dad (after I had called 4 other people and they didn't answer) if he knew how to finish the raw edge on my fabric. He giggled and said "Sorry."
I'm sorry that I've ignored my blog, and my kids this week. I hope to do better! :)

8 comments:

JGEM said...

I say it makes you a good mom!

Russ Steele said...

Heidi,
I bet you are really thankful that it was beans and not miniture marshmellows!

Dad,
I can't believe that you did not know that you just fold the edge over and safety pin it closed.

Robin said...

Nobody thinks that you are stupid. I always love your calls, even then it means that your sewing and I'm not.

I think your the BEST MOM ever. How lucky your girls are to have you.

Janet said...

I'm sorry about the mess, but I'm also thinking about getting some beans for the boys to play with. You are so smart!

Jess and Jen said...

At least you are ignoring them for a worthy reason! I mean do they want Christmas presents or not, right? I am proud of your new skills! Can't wait to see them!

Mandi Ward said...

You are to funny. I love reading your post. They make my day.

Kristen said...

That's what our car looks like right now. We were driving a 6 gallon bucket of beans to Utah and WHOOPS took the corner too fast. Only 4 1/2 gallons made it there in the bucket. The kids are having so much fun in the car that I haven't cleaned it out yet. So if you see beans in a parking lot, you know I was there.

Yes, we were in Utah. You can forgive me for not telling you if I can forgive you for not calling ME for sewing help! =o)

Kat said...

I can't wait to see those skirts! I bet they are going to be awesome. Congrats on your new sewing skills.