My entire childhood, as far back as I can remember, we went camping out by Delle in the desert. I spent many a birthday/conference weekend out there in the middle of nowhere. I learned how to ride a motorcycle out there. I taught my husband how to ride a motorcycle out there. I've been burried in the sand out there. We talk about the area like we own it. "So, go over past Steele mountain, by Steele Hill, turn by Steele rock, etc..." Jeramy thought we really did own it for a while. Lots of good memories tied to Delle.
My father has been going out there to "think" for more years than I've been alive. He has a special rock that he would ride his motorcycle up to and think about things. I've head many awesome stories about the inspiration he's received up there. Always when he would leave, he'd dump any pocket change he had on him on the rock. After years and years, he claims there was probably about 50-60 dollars worth of change up on his rock.
A few years back, my dad stopped going out to Delle and started going west of Utah Lake. It's closer for all of us to go out that way. This past week, my Dad - who goes 4 wheeling usually once or twice a week - decided to go back out to Delle.
He went up to Steele's rock, and...all of his money was gone! My brother always teases about it being his inheritance, but since he lives back east now, I decided it was mine. (All right, truth be known, I'd need help from my brother finding said rock).
So, if you happen to hear someone telling you an amazing story about how they were out 4-wheeling and they found this rock with all of this money, please tell them that it's mine and I'd like it back.
Thursday, December 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Love that story. It's amazing all those great things our Dad's do, and sometimes at the time you think that he is nuts but you couldn't imagine it any other way. I hope he finds another rock.
Probably not the best investment vehicle. Tell him to give me a call.
I just assumed it had disappeared in between each time! Out in the wilderness, it's every man for himself. =o) (Are you starting to suspect it was me?)
Ben and my mom do their 20-mile run down from the City of Rocks on a dirt road. One time they stashed their jackets behind a rock, hidden by sagebrush, under a tree. They went back for them an hour later and they were already gone! Seriously? My mom had worn hers for 9 marathons - no sentimental value there, right? Jerks. (I still think it was a cow.)
(Maybe somebody thought your Dad's stash was a geocache?)
I Love you blog posts :) You always make me smile!
Post a Comment